
Uh oh! (Kamryn's first accident...note the poop on the diaper that went through all the sheets lol!)

Changing Kamryn's diaper for the first time.


Changing Kamryn's diaper for the first time.

What a great day at the NICU. I finally worked up the courage to handle the girls. Before today I was a little afraid to touch them because they are so small. I got to change both of the girl's diapers, take their temperatures and feed Kennedy (through her feeding tube). Though I was very nervous it felt very natural to take care of them. I almost forgot how small they are. I also can see that they really aren't as fragile as I think they are.
Kennedy is a wild woman. She stayed awake for the whole feed (about 20 minutes). She looked back and forth from G-mama to me, she stretched, yawned, coughed and even spit up for us lol!!! She is such a cutie pie. G-mama said she wwas under strict orders not to cry...she didn't follow those orders lol!!!!
Kamryn is the mellow one. She barely woke up to get her diaper changed even though she had pooped through the diaper, the sheets...all the way down to the matress lol!!! She finally opened her eyes once I had her diaper back on. This is the first time I have ever seen her eyes. I was so excited!!! She is a cutie pie to. I am hoping she remains mellow. I have a feeling that Kennedy is going to be another Kai...I can't handle three of those lol!
The girls are still on 21% oxygen (room air) with a little help from the nasal cannula (1/4 liter of pressure every 2 hours). Kamryn was struggling a little bit today which made me nervous. The nurse turned up the pressure a little and soon she was back to breathing without any struggle.
Kennedy still suffers from the Apnea and Bradychardia spells. She holds her breath or forgets to breath which causes her heart rate to drop significantly. Luckily she has always fixed it quickly on her own. Kamryn has not had any A's and B's at all thank God. The nurses and doctors assure me that this is a very typical and common preemie thing and that they will grow out of it by about 34 weeks. I can't wait for that...when those alarms go off I panic a little inside.
They girls seem to be taking turns under the billirubin lights. Kamryn was off for a while but her labs came back the the jaundice was back so she is back under the lights. Kennedy is off the lights for now. I am hoping they are both over the jaundice soon.
The girls will have their 2nd round of brain scans this week. I am praying the slightly enlarged ventricles are no longer swollen and that there are still no brain bleeds.
Thursday we will get to hold the girls for the first time. I am so nervous but so excited. They are also chowing down like pros. They have been bumped up to 10cc's (2 teaspoons) of breastmilk every 3 hours. This is great since 7 days ago they were on 1cc every 3 hours. They are both tolerating their feeds well. Now I am worried about producing enough to keep up with them. Pumping is my life these days lol!
I am feeling so much better this week. I think I am about 75% back to normal. I had a doctor appointment on Monday and my incision is healing really well. My blood pressure is also almost back to normal. I still have some MAJOR swelling in my legs and feet. They look like elephant feet. I am almost tempted to post a picture of them. What do you call it when it's worse than cankles???? lol! Emotionally I am feeling much better to. I do have a lot of anxiety and I know it has a lot to do with the post pardum hormones and the uncertainty of the girls health being so early. I am feeling up to having company now and even went out to Happy Hour with Chenetta after my doctor's appointment. It felt really good to get out and talk about the girls but also talk about other stuff like work, family, etc. I can't wait to feel 100% physically and to start driving again. It is hard to be so dependent on others as an adult!
Kai is doing pretty well. She has picked up the habit of talking back whenever she is disciplined. I have to admit it is driving me crazy. It's hard to know what to ignore, what to address and how much of this is brought on because of all of the changes that have happened recently. Bedtime has been a chore. She is back to taking about 2 hours to fall asleep. We keep bumping up her bedtime. Pretty soon she is going to be going to bed while it is still daytime. I don't want to make her get in bed before 7:45 but she is really testing me. Tonight she is in her own room. This is new for her and for me. I have gotten so used to having her in bed but it is getting to a point where she needs sleep. She is a nightmare in the morning if she doesn't get her 10+ hours. Maybe having her in her own room will do the trick.
Thanks for the prayers. Keep em coming!

No comments:
Post a Comment