Saturday, February 28, 2009

We're 4 weeks old!!! (33 weeks gestational age)


Kai entertaining herself in the NICU lobby.

Kennedy in an open isolette.

"I can stay warm all by myself!" (Kennedy)

Kamryn in her open isolette.

"Look at me in clothes" (Kamryn)
BIG CHANGES THIS WEEK. Check out the isolettes...they are now open and the girls have almost completely mastered maintaining their own temperatures. Preemies are not able to maintain their temperatures because of their low birth weight and premature body functions so up until this point the girls have been in closed isolettes (make-shift wombs) with heaters that keep them as warm as they are supposed to be. The staff slowly lowers the temperatures of the heaters throughout the first weeks and gets the babies to work on stying warm by themselves. Having open isolettes is a HUGE step forward because this means are very close to co-bedding. Woohoo! I know my girls miss each other. I can't wait to have them together again! The girls are also in clothes everyday now. Uh oh! I am trying to control my shop-a-holic nature but preemie clothes are just to cute!!!! I am really trying to keep the shopping under control. Grandma Pam is just as bad as me...I guess that's where I get it from. She has called me everyday this week to tell me that she had just bought a new preemie outfit lol!
Big sister Kai is doing well. She will not leave my side lol! She has always been my little sidekick but these days if I even look like I am about to leave the house she is running to put her shoes on. Poor kid, I think she is still a little traumatized by my inpatient stay lol! When we go out to the NICU she wants to go...even though she has to wait in the lobby. She has been so well behaved there and has even made a few friends with the other NICU families. I hate to have to drag her out there but she definitely seems to enjoy it so it works out fine. I just wish Lamarr and I got to see the girls together instead of one of us going in at a time. Oh well, we will all have plenty of time together at home soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment