Friday, March 27, 2009

We're 8 weeks old!!! (37 weeks gestational age)


Kai pushing Kennedy around in her babydoll stroller (don't worry, mom was close by).


Kamryn - first time cannula free. YAY!!!


Kennedy has been home for a week now and things are going pretty well. She had her first doctor’s appointment last Monday. Thank God G-mama went with us!!! It is a big adjustment getting out with a preschooler and a newborn. Thankfully Kaiser staff were very good about getting us in and out. I was really nervous because we had to go to the main hospital so that Kennedy could get a blood draw. Of course the place is full of germs. Everyone was very understanding and we got pushed to the front of the line. Dr. Errera says Kennedy looks really good. She is still considered “severely anemic” and he anticipates she will be on the iron supplements for at least another 3 months.

Kamryn has had a rollercoaster week. I have been handling it ok but today I have been feeling really down and discouraged. Kamryn came off of the nasal cannuala on Tuesday. This is the first time she has had no respiratory assistance. We were so excited. She seemed to be doing really well overnight that night she had two bad A/B episodes. One she recovered from quickly on her own, the other she had to have moderate stimulation (the nurse patting her back firmly to stimulate her to take a breath). The doctor thinks that this may be due to the fact that this is the first time she was breathing all on her own. They decided to leave her off the nasal cannula and continue to work with her breathing on her own. This morning I called to check on her and got the very disappointing news that she is back on the nasal cannula. She had another brady episode this morning and they have decided to put her back on the nasal cannula. They say that this back and forth thing is normal when trying to wean a baby from oxygen. I can’t help but to feel like this is a step backwards. I have cried off and on today. I need to get it together. I hate fro Kai to see me upset. She doesn’t really understand. Through it all I will continue to praise God for all that he has done and will do for us. He has brought us this far and I know won’t leave us now. This to shall pass right? Thanks for the prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment